Welcome to the KirkyFlyers Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Hi! Not sure if the forums are still active but hello anyway
Thu May 07, 2015 8:15 am by Coyote

» The best model trailer ever
Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:07 pm by Andy (Sam's dad)

» Mobius on the Solius
Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:50 pm by Keith

» 5/1/2014 at the field
Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:13 am by Coyote

» he shoots he scores...twice
Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:51 am by Coyote

» Coyote`s Skyfun
Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:00 am by Coyote

» And no lasting damage was done
Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:53 pm by Keith

» Yesterdays flights
Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:43 pm by daz

» 30 quid dlg anybody????
Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:01 pm by Keith

» Coyote`s Tarot FY680
Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:05 pm by Coyote

Weather

Top posting users this month
Most Viewed Topics
New Imax B6 Balance Charger. SOLD
Mini Funjet build
Cargo plane build
my next build is also the polaris
TRIcopter, QUADcopter, SIXcopter frames
eflite have made a micro quad
KKuk Tricopter controller. SOLD
Radian Pro Motor Fault
2.4Ghz 200mw Radio Micro Wireless Color CCTV Spy Camera
Multiplex Twinstar 2 Spares and more

Share | 

Todays flying-Whats your story?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:43 am

Although there are only a few heli pilots in our club, there may be more in the future or maybe a few of you are thinking of moving over to 'the darkside' Twisted Evil so I thought we could start a "how did it go today" thread.
Today I wasnt actually flting at Kirky, nobody was up for it-so I went to the local footy pitch & put 4 batts through the 450.
I've been trying to translate what I've learnt on the flight sim onto the 450-but this time of year I'm really struggling with the poor light. Orientation can get quite difficult & a couple of times I had the heli flying across the field at high speed or aka FFF (Fast Forward Flight) not tracking dead level & find I'm having to rock the heli port or starboard trying to work out which way the heli is leaning & then correcting.
Getting better at all aspects of flight-upright & inverted, getting quite good (for me) nose out inverted, but still struggling with inverted forward flight (I fly fixed wing inverted probably 50% of the time with my MPX Pakflyer no problem-easy peasy) Just cant seem to get my head around it at the mo.
Really enjoying just flying FFF & then flipping the heli over onto its back & the punching out on negative pitch back in the direction I've just come from, also 'blipping' the collective whilst I'm going over looks really good as it pauses & resumes over the arc of flight.
Really comfortable with loops (forward or back) in any of 360 degrees now, I'm busy adding more into them just to add a bit of flair, altough I again I'm struggling whilst rolling in & out of loops due to the poor light (dont think I'll be doing anything like this with the 500 until the light improves-even though its a much bigger model, it costs a whole heap more to fix when it all go's tits up)
So my aim this summer is to start flying helis like I fly my planes style wise, just nice pattern flying (sort of Laughing )
Back to top Go down
Keith
Forum Admin

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:22 am

Good idea on the thread Ade and very well written, I do have heli's in my hanger as thats what I started out flying, they'll make an appearance this summer I'm sure.
Be warned though m8 I will be asking many questions as I could manage FFF,stall turns, and circuits but that about as far as I got because a friend let me fly his plane.
Back to top Go down
http://kirkleathamflyers.forumotion.co.uk
madjeff
Group Captin

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:29 am

i do fly heli my self only hovering on cp and slow circuits on fp heli.at the min i have a raptor 50 nitro,trex 450,thunder tiger innovator,eflite blade 400, sr,sr120,cx3

Pete flys as well he's pretty good.

will do some flying at the club when if the weather improves.

think there was some talk of cutting the grass just for them away from flight line.hope they do.

Last edited by madjeff on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wingpete
Squadron Leader

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:07 am

yes i could do with some advice with helis as i feel as though i cant progress any further than the stage i am at,john lithgo was a good help for me but the club we used to go to is no longer.
Back to top Go down
Paul L
Wing Commander

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:12 am

Hi. guys

Yes. we/I have plans for a Heli. practice area

Competent heli. pilots will still be able to fly from the main flight area

Pete. expect to see John Lithgo at the field during the Summer
both him and Tim are in our club.
I am also available for heli. advice of course.

Paul

Back to top Go down
madjeff
Group Captin

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:25 am

well i would be grateful if you could track my blades for me as i had a go and cocked it up.i cannot see the blade tips colour to see which one is higher than other.it was fine till i sent it back to eflite for repair under warranty as the tail motor had burnt out after approx 25 flights with no crashing.when i got it back one servo had gear chipped and not my lipo someone else's.I'm fine with fp but cp head setup im still learning.
Back to top Go down
Paul L
Wing Commander

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:32 am

No problem
bring it to the field
Back to top Go down
madjeff
Group Captin

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:41 am

thanks paul Smile
Back to top Go down
wingpete
Squadron Leader

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:48 am

thats good to here that john & tim have joined the club 2 guys with a lot of heli knowledge,& also we can convert them to plank flying,they have dabbled a bit in the past lol!
Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:30 am

I hope Tim comes over with an Electric heli, I've heard he's pretty dam good on the sticks, no doubt I'll be watching any flying he does VERY closely & picking his brains for 'how to'I Hope he wont take the p!ss too hard out of my efforts at heli acorobatics.
At least I'll have an advantage when it comes to plank flying, maybe information could travel both ways?
Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:56 am

Been out with the 450 today & managed to stuff it into the floor with great style! After putting 7 batts through it I was probably getting a little cheeky with it Wink its now sat in its flight case looking like a RTF kit once more . TBH the damage isnt too bad, I have most of the new parts needed in the spares box (just blades & servo gears sets to order)
My batts are up for relpacement in the near future-as current one almost a yr old now & I've flogged the livin daylights out of em! Though at £84 for 4 last yr (when the £ was very weak against the $) I shouldnt complain.
Anyway-cracked a couple of new things in heli flight-onwards & upwards! (& somtimes upside down Twisted Evil )
Back to top Go down
madjeff
Group Captin

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:09 am

when it came to flying circuits i tried to cheat and got the robbe helecommand.that thing cost me £200 and tied me up in knots.just trying to wire it all up. confused
now im learning the slow and steady way lol.
Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:09 am

Seen helicommand in action-thanks-but I can crash my own helis without any outside help!
The thing is when I'm flying my helis without an audiance I tend to push myself a lot harder, I've been trying to do in the real world what I've learnt on the flight sim-but in the real world wind, light & the 'feel' are very different which I think was probably part of the reason I crashed. I also have a worn rotor housing which is giving me far too much slop on the collective (& causing some intresting tracking errors on the main blades) so partilly down to me being too tight-which now will cost me even more to repair(ho-hum) Accident was caused be me getting too low after rolling out of a loop while very fast & me being too slow on the collective (+taking up the 'slack' in the head) & just grazing the floor caused the heli to pitch forward-blades hit floor-the rest you can work out yourself Laughing
Once spring gets here I'll be flying the 500 at the field & I want to get a few moves 100% on the 450 before I translate them to the bigger heli. The 450 is just that bit faster on the collective-so if I make a mistake I can usually sort it out before it gets expensive, the 500 warrants more respect & costs a whole heap more to repair if it all go's a bit 'Pete Tong'
EG my last crash with the 500 was a pretty damm awful flare at the end of a text book auto-landed hard on the tail & repair was £80-ouch! I've auto'd the 450 into the floor a few times now & the worst one cost me £30 tops!

Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:26 am

Did most of the repairs to the 450 today, just waiting on a main mast hub from Sussex Helis (closing down & 25% off everything) & I think I've found out why I crashed.
On replacing the 2 cyclic gear sets that had stripped I tried to sort out the mid-stick zero pitch position & after turning on the power realised that one of the servos wasnt playing ball-its dead-kaput-nil-nada! Pulled the dead one out & new servo installed-re did the wiring & alls well & good again!
Got my new sets of 3D PRO carbon 335mm blades delivered today from Fastlads @ £12.50 a set (under 'other manufacturers' in the blades section) both sets needed .1 of a gm of tape on the lightest blade (once I'd weighed them & sorted) balance points were spot on. I've been using these blades for a while now & have had no issues with them & even though Align 325's have comes down in cost I'm not willing to pay another £5 extra for them (have I been living in Yorkshire for too long?) for no advantage other than having to up the head speed a couple of % to compensate for the longer blades.
Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Had to oreder a couple of more bits last night. Seesaw arm bearings collapsed when I stripped the head-more expense! but I shouldnt complain 3yrs of abuse with nil maintenance what should I expect. Also ordered some Youngblood superhard head dampers (the green ones) for the head, my old dampers were shot (sloppy head knocking the daylights out of them I think)
Had a good look around all the rest of the head & I'm replacing the bearings tonight when I get in from work, so a total re-fresh on the V2 head.
Re 3D pro blades. Tried to balance them out-loads of tape but little joy. Got the digital scales out-mixed & matched, now I have blades that just req .1 of a gm each to balance out.
Good result BUT it shows the factory QC aint that good & buying more than one set at a time may be a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:30 am

Heli all re-built, went for a test flight to sort tracking & tail out, Bloody hell! elevator servo twitching like its got tourettes & me swearing like I have as well. Went back home bunged another new servo in it. Went flying on the afternoon at Kirky, started out with just gentle FFF, cicuits & stall turns. A couple of mins of that & I got bored-idle up time! Twisted Evil
Lots of forward & backward loops/flips later, went for a couple of rolls, got my fingers & timing up to speed, just sat about 1M off the deck hovering-while planning a couple of multiple rolls & the little begger just rolled over into the floor!!! managed to hit throttle hold.
Minimal damage to heli-but a 3rd servo had died.
Damage limited to flybar, mainshaft & tailblades (& obviously the servo)
Hope to get out flying this Sunday, so if you want a laugh get yourselves down Kirky-Sunday afternoon & watch me find new & intresting ways to spend money-other than just setting fire to it
Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:03 am

Good day at Kirky! only flew the heli a few time & nothing too radical (I've spent enough this last month) There was at one stage three helis in the air at the same time, Neil , Pete & myself-so thats got to be some sort of record at the club. Both Neil & Pete would like some heli landing pads mown next time the field gets a trim if poss.
Talking of landing areas I notice our main landing strip has gotten longer, but maybe it should be made wider as a couple of pilots were having trouble hitting it today Laughing
I've ordered a couple of Overlander 2200 60C batts from Guis model shop. £30 each, not cheap but hoping they can take the abuse my heli inflicts on them, my old 30C batts were only just up to the job (& are now on their last legs after a year of constant abuse over 65 cycles)
Back to top Go down
madjeff
Group Captin

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:19 am

yes it was good days flying today.usual suspects were missing lol.Harvey just arrived when i was leaving.me and Pete had the p38 up and looked great looking for some japs to take down.
think i had 8 flights and landed on the strip five times so thats a record for me. lol! think if the strip was wider i would still miss. scratch
Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:44 am

Well I've been floggin the 'wee beastie' all summer now. cracked nose out inverted (at long last!) so now doing inverted stall turns-but still struggling to do a proper inverted circuit just yet.
Also lots of flying on the 500 this year, what a pussycat. So much more stable than the 450 & much easier to spot in the air when the lights not that good (shame its a bit underpowered though Laughing )
The big news is that I pick up my new 450ProV2.3GX in the morning, my 1st flybarless model. shouldnt take more than a day or so to build, sorting out the 3GX unit may be more problematic. I'll be spending a bit of time going through recommended setups that can be downloaded, then fine tuning to my style of flying (with a little help from Paul of course)
If I like flybarless (aka FBL) I'll be looking at upgrading the 500 or replacing come the start of 2012
Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:34 am

Flybarless system aint workin! Pauls been scratching his head for more than a day with it.
Paul thinks the 3GX unit is a duffer.
Just about sums up my years flying. Little of it-costing plenty, think I'll hibernate til next spring & try again Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
phil.D
Squadron Leader

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:26 am

i think i,ll join ye m8 4 planes down in a week sick as a parrot Sad two right offs, the others are gunna need cash i have,nt got spent on them i think this years gunna be one to forget. Or yes nearlly forgot i cracked the wing on the thrush in the garage door so i,m totally pissed nevermind i think i,ll take up kite flying with justin.
Back to top Go down
madjeff
Group Captin

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:44 am

oh no whats happened Phil. confused not the curse of kirky field again
Back to top Go down
phil.D
Squadron Leader

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:02 am

bad luck hardware and structual failure Question
Back to top Go down
Keith
Forum Admin

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:49 am

Idid the same thing last week phil I crushed the slowfly wing in the workshop door, I've dialed down the power on the auto closer now but its too late for the slowfly.

I must have missed something phil, which planes were damaged ?

If i can help in any way bud just shout.
Back to top Go down
http://kirkleathamflyers.forumotion.co.uk
andym
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:49 am

My heli rebuild starts tonight, crashed on Monday night bent the main shaft and rear torque drive shaft. Completely snapped the motor shaft and knackered a servo.

Hopefully the genuine align parts I ordered will fit my Chinese import if not it is going to be a long wait before that is flying again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   

Back to top Go down

Todays flying-Whats your story?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next