Welcome to the KirkyFlyers Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Hi! Not sure if the forums are still active but hello anyway
Thu May 07, 2015 8:15 am by Coyote

» The best model trailer ever
Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:07 pm by Andy (Sam's dad)

» Mobius on the Solius
Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:50 pm by Keith

» 5/1/2014 at the field
Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:13 am by Coyote

» he shoots he scores...twice
Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:51 am by Coyote

» Coyote`s Skyfun
Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:00 am by Coyote

» And no lasting damage was done
Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:53 pm by Keith

» Yesterdays flights
Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:43 pm by daz

» 30 quid dlg anybody????
Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:01 pm by Keith

» Coyote`s Tarot FY680
Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:05 pm by Coyote

Weather

Top posting users this month
Most Viewed Topics
New Imax B6 Balance Charger. SOLD
Mini Funjet build
Cargo plane build
my next build is also the polaris
TRIcopter, QUADcopter, SIXcopter frames
eflite have made a micro quad
KKuk Tricopter controller. SOLD
Radian Pro Motor Fault
2.4Ghz 200mw Radio Micro Wireless Color CCTV Spy Camera
Multiplex Twinstar 2 Spares and more

Share | 

Todays flying-Whats your story?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:00 am

Whats this? Another rotorist-by the gods, the old men will grumble (lots) esp if like me you fly off the strip.
Were you flying indoors at the dome when you crashed? if so I'll see you soon down there The tennis season is over now, so I'll be able to come down on Monday nights (its better than watching telly or the girlfriend) Its great in there, when I crash I just blame the lights (but there dont seem to be any at the moment)
A lot of people fly things with wings also in there also, resist the urge to move the the light side of the force. The dark (heli) side brings more challenges (& repair bills) but is more rewarding.
Back to top Go down
andym
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:34 am

Hi Ade, indeed it was at the dome and clearly it was the lighting in there that caused the crash, not my crappy flying. My experience so far tells me planes crash more often than helis, only seen two helis crash (one of them mine) vs quite a few planes so will be sticking with them ... for now.
Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Crashed 3 planes this year, one was loss of control_THUD! one a dud batt left me trying to get back to the landing area-but lost it behind a fence-CRUNCH! & the 3rd was a rushed landing-new wing reqd.
Helicopter crashes-I forget-more than 8 I guess, three to failing/failed servos (they had lasted quite well @ 4yrs old) One due to batts falling out of the heli into the blades while inverted (funny autorotation into the floor)the rest down to pilot error.
Will see you soon down Boulby or Kirky.
Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:10 am

I've been flying over most of the day. Six flights each on the 450 & 500. Did try to move around the sky in a half attempt at a inverted circuit with the 450 & funny enough got about half way round a cicuit (so maybe all that sim flying is paying off!?) need to let the balls swing (rather than getting up tight Very Happy ) & maybe I can actually pull off "an inverted circuit"
Obviously though when flying at Kirky today-just kept it steady as I didnt want to give the lads a laugh.
Met the FNG (f*cking new guy-Hi Andy Wink ) with his 450 clone, much younger than I, will expect him to be flying 3D by next season if he keeps up with a good training regime. That means flight sim-flight sim-flight sim (Phoenix best-but see Paul Luka for a cheaper alternative) NO PRESSURE there then Andy LOL
BTW just finished my 1st FBL heli, the new 450PROV2 3GX, couple of things to finish on it & I'll be test flying it in the next week or so(weather dependand) It looks rather rakish with just the two blades up top. If the FBL system suits I'll be looking for a new bigger heli for my birthday. 550 Trex really floatin'ma'boat ATM a proper '30' size heli-but with performance Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:53 am

Had this new heli 7weeks & looks as if I may get it up in the air over the next couple of days. Reason? faulty 3GX unit & poor service from Align uk. Ah well- aint always the way with new tech.
Went flying up on the village footy field today, put both 450 & 500 up to play. Warmed up with the 450 & then two flights on the 500 was pushing it quite hard. I've put in a 'idle 2' setting -head speed gets quite scary (I'll have to get it tach'd)
So only 3 flights today then home to warm up, autums landed Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:19 am

Jeez-uz-frickin-christ! Yet another usless 3GX unit. Not convinced they launched this at the right time. More phone calls on Friday/Saterday. Another new unit will be tested for Spektrum suitability before being posted to me (that means another two week wait at the speed they work at Crying or Very sad )
Other than that had a good couple of days flying. Still work in progress for inverted circuits-but-its getting closer. Yesterday a load of hikers stood & watched while the 450 & 500 performed, got a round of applause on landing the 500 ( cheers ) & today the local community wardens gave me the thumbs up after sitting in their Ford Galaxy watching me fly over two flights with the 500 (thought I was in for a talking to TBH)
The stronger winds over the last couple of days have caused a few 'blow outs' on the tail, they havnt really been a problem TBH coz I've been flying at height & the winds are much stronger this time of year now so I'd been expecting a few minor problems, moved the gain up just a couple of % & cured the wayward tail Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:59 am

Weather the last couple of weeks has limited the amout of time flying, but even during the mild weather recently the light has been bl00dy awful. did manage to stuff the 500 though. Only light damage (£20) but still a bit peeved, but I suppose I was trying something new-so sh1t happens! main problem was me being inverted quite low & running out of talent.
STILL havnt sorted the new PRO.V2-3GX out, looking forward to getting it into the air shortly. Still having fun with the old V2 which is still totally bonkers on its 3595 Hyperion motor/esc combo.
New 3GX unit could really use a field laptop to go with it, I'm hoping Pauls new notebook is up to the job for field duty.
I've been picking Tim's (flys at Boulby) brains about set-up & he's saying just go steady all the way programming wise & they fly fine.
Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:41 am

Bit the bullett & bought a Futaba 10CP, so busy buying new 2.4 FASST rxs.
Fitted a S-bus rx to the new Trex 3gx & guess what-it works cheers Well it did after building a new model on the handset, re-jigging the servo horns & re-setting the 3gx unit over nearly 3hrs in the fridge (sorry-I mean 'the dome') got a half decent flight in just plodding about doing the basics. I've since added 15% expo on the head & rudder in readiness for the next test flight where normal/idle up settings need fine tuning THEN I can start having a bit of fun.
Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:12 am

Put 4 batts outdoors yesterday only thing I adjusted was the gain on the tail down to 25%
Other adjustments will have to be via the computer & 3GX unit. TBH I'm well impresed so far with how this heli flys, even on this basic ( straight off the disc) flight setup its better than my 450 SE V2 in all respects. Its faster, more responsive & easier to fly. Loops rolls, flips etc are 'solid' no corrections needed during fast or slow BIG loops it just go's around like its on rails, hovering either way up is non event-just sits there (was only flying in 6-10mph winds though) The motor seems to cope with +&- 14 pitch on the blades with little complaint-even when being cack handed on the sticks during tight flips & rolls.
Only downside so far is that she flys like a fly barred heli with very small light paddles, so she can be a bit quick on the swash (understatement-more Shocked ) I think Tim will be getting asked a couple of questions next time I see him (he's been using 3GX for a couple of months now)
Back to top Go down
Ade
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:31 am

Thanks to nil wind & bright skys (though pretty dammed nippy)I've had a good few packs through the V2 3GX. TBH considering all I've read on various sites I cant fault the 3GX system at all. This new Align 450 has a strong motor which gives me 6mins flight indoors & 5mins outdoor idle up lunacy.
Helis behaviour much better since I redcued cyclic (thanks for the advice Tim) the best way I can describe it that its like flying helis on the Phoenix flight sim-but better! I've thrown everything I know at it & it just gets on with it.
Need a bigger heli for the summer, its going to be either a 500V2 or 550V2 (3GX of course)just need a buyer for my 500ESP now & I can get the ball rollng, anyone intrested?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Todays flying-Whats your story?   

Back to top Go down

Todays flying-Whats your story?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2